Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation (GMC) has its own functional waste-to-compost plant with waste processing capacity of 300 MT per day. Also another waste-to-compost plant is adopted with neighbouring ULBs under cluster model for the waste processing 200 MT per day, says Asha Sharma, Mayor, Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation in conversation with Elets News Network (ENN).
What policies have been introduced for the overall urban development in Ghaziabad? Six months ago since I have taken responsibility as the Mayor of Ghaziabad, multiple rounds of deliberation have een held with various stakeholders to make the city clean. I take pride that during this period Ghaziabad has done significantly well and was awarded ‘Fastest Movers City’ award in Swachh Survekshan, 2018.
As a matter of policy, we want to work on following agendas along with sustaining the pace development:
- To make Ghaziabad a clean and green city.
- Bring opportunities to the city so that the best of infrastructure comparable to Delhi is built in Ghaziabad.
- River Hindon is the legacy that we have inherited from our ancestors, but it is very painful to see the present situation of river. We want to not only rejuvenate the river but also to develop economic activities around the river.
Ghaziabad is suffering a lot due to lack of mass mobility quality transport system. We need to work with various agencies so that the roads can be decongested.
What schemes have been implemented for citizens’ social welfare in Ghaziabad?
Swachh Bharat Mission has given us an opportunity to focus consistently on various aspects that are part of essential services that are common. Our primary focus was to make city open defecation free and we have been certified by Quality Council of India as Open Defecation Free city.
To achieve the status of ODF city we provided following infrastructure to the city. Construction of toilets is the foundation of Swachh Bharat Mission and we have kept with the pace of constructing toilets. Though the city is certified ODF, but we are still working towards building more sanitation related infrastructure. Ghaziabad is the only city in Uttar Pradesh where India’s first Pink Toilet (especially designed for women) was created.
Similarly, we want to enhance the access of sanitation services for which all our toilets are tagged with Google Toilet Locator app.
What steps have been taken up by the corporation under Swachh Bharat Mission?
As a preparatory exercise for Swachh Survekshan, 2018 following activities have been undertaken by Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam during the Survekshan year:
Organised a skilling programme for Safai Karamcharis of Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam, sponsored by National Safai Karamchari Finance Development Corporation. The purpose of the skilling programme was to transform the status of Karamcharis from non-skilled labour to skilled labour.
- There are land parcels where there is no sewer network. For such areas, a massive drive was organised to select and register the de-sludgers and providing facility of co-treatment at the Sewer Treatment Plant. In this course, 26 registered de-sludgers have been issued license at a nominal fee of rupees Rs 2,000 per annum.
- GMC has its own functional waste-to-compost plant with waste processing capacity of 300 MT per day. Also another waste-to-compost plant is adopted with neighboring ULBs under cluster model for the waste processing 200 MT per day.
- Sanitation Infrastructure
- Other solid waste management achievements
- Theme based paintings at all
- Major roads and flyovers of Ghaziabad.
- Mechanical road sweeping on all major roads with before water sprinkling.
- Monthly special cleanliness drives by diverting safaikarmi from four zones out of five zones to one zone so that one zone is completely transformed.
- Ghaziabad is the only and first city in the state of Uttar Pradesh to have Pink Toilet (A Toilet, All for Woman).
- All vehicles used for collection and transportation of waste are tracked with GPS, the tracking of vehicles can be accessed by any citizen through official website of Nagar Nigam Ghaziabad.
- More than 300 direct citizen contact program/ workshops/ rallies.
As Ghaziabad is one of the NCR city, how you planning for urban development in the coming years? Our primary focus is beautification of open land parcels available across the length of the roads. There is a general phenomenon that roads are congested due to unauthorised parkings on the road as a number of unplanned markets mushroom around the residential areas. In this direction, we are constructing shopping malls in the commercial areas as well as working on the concept of multi-level smart parking.
eGov Magazine is an initiative of Elets Techomedia Pvt Ltd existing since 2003.
Now, Elets' YouTube channel, a treasure of premier innovation-oriented knowledge-conferences and awards, is also active.
To Subscribe Free Click Here