This application helps Roads and Building Department, Government of Gujarat, to update all the works in progress.
About the Project
The new RNB-WMS started operating from 2010 with the civil works of R&B (State). Since then the budgetary, expenditure and progress details of all civil works of R&B State is available in the system. Later the works of R&B (Capital Project), R&B (Panchayats) were added. The access to the application is granted to all the Executive/Superintending Engineers at the field offices and all the officers in the Secretariat Officers through the NIC Gujarat State SSO (Single Sign On). The R&B Department is in charge of all activities pertaining to planning, construction and maintenance of all categories of road and all government owned buildings in the state of Gujarat.
Data collections like traffic census, road safety, etc. are to be carried out through WMS and the data collected is to be exported to the existing GIS application of R&B Department.
Need for the Project
The tracking of the progress of the project, both physical and financial is a very laborious and time consuming as it has to the compiled every time from the earlier statements and current status received from the field offices in various formats. In year 2009 chief engineers mainly concerned with the works in consultation with National Informatics Centre (NIC) decided to replace the existing monitoring system with a simple web based system.
How it works
System assigns to each work a unique code. It stores for each work time series data, procedural stage marking data and proposal flow charting amongst various hierarchical levels.
- Time series data e.g. References, Expenditure Debit Heads and Monetary Provisions of the work mentioned in the yearly budget books published by the Finance Department.
- Preconstruction clearance stages e.g. Land availability, Encumbrances, Preliminary drawings, Estimates, Administrative approvals, Technical approvals, DTP approvals, Tendering and work order.
- Construction stage data e.g. physical and financial progress.
- Post construction stage data e.g. commissioning date, Maintenance Guarantee and Handing over of asset in respect of buildings.
- Administrative data establishing ownerships of work with implementing agency, administrative region and constituency.
System mandates data capturing at the hierarchical level where data is first generated. Budget book references, provisions and debit heads are entered by Data Administrator every year when State Assembly passes the annual budget of the state. System has facility to flash important messages/ news / notices on log in page itself. System has number of custom tailored reports useful for the monitoring of works. It has over 18 formats in which data and information could be published.
Being a workflow-based system, the reports of progress in project is restricted to works under their purview. Apart from being a monitoring application for civil works this system also works are an inventory system for mechanical and electrical equipments with facility to update utilization returns online. The system also has a module to monitor Estate details (viz., Occupant / Rent Recovery Details).