Haridwar city is being planned to be developed as pilgrim tourist destination, reveals Nitin Bhadauria, Vice Chairman, Haridwar Roorkee Development Authority (HRDA) and Commissioner, Haridwar Municipal Corporation, in an interview with Souvik Goswami of Elets News Network (ENN).
Give us an overview of Haridwar Roorkee Development Authority (HRDA).
Known as ‘Gateway to Gods’, Haridwar is a holy place and a religious place for tourist destination. Haridwar has some industrial area like SIDCUL. Haridwar Roorkee Development Authority (HRDA) came into existence on May 2, 1986. The objective of the authority is to promote and secure the development of the area according to the plan. For this purpose, the authority shall have the power to acquire, hold, manage and dispose of land and other property, to carry out building, engineering, mining and other operations, to execute works in connection with the supply of water and electricity, to dispose of sewage and to provide and to maintain other services and amenities and generally to do anything necessary.
On first notification of UP Government HRDA boundaries have the area of Haridwar Nagar Nigam, Rishikesh Nagar Palika, Muni Ki Reti Notified area, Ranipur Nagar Panchayat as well as 63 villages and 09 forest areas. Haridwar Development Authority is divided into two master plans i.e. Haridwar and Rishikesh.
On second notification of Uttarakhand Government, HRDA included the area of Roorkee Nagar Palika (Currently Nagar Nigam), Manglour Nagar Palika, Swarg Chowk Nagar Panchayat, Landhaura Nagar Panchayat, 112 villages of Tehsil Roorkee and Bhawaanpur.
How Hardwar Roorkee Development Authority is leveraging Smart City Mission to bring urban transformation?
Some typical features of comprehensive development in Smart Cities are described as below:
1. Promoting mixed land use in area based developments–
Haridwar-Roorkee Development Authority is committed to control unauthorised construction and promote the authorised development. Authority main goals are as follows:
- Forced to deploy the rules and regulation of master plan.
- Under the area of Authority, stop the unmanaged and unplanned development. Authority has been decided to development of area as per atmosphere biological cycle.
2. Housing and inclusiveness –
- HRDA is developing the residential houses for different income groups, parks, parking areas, complexes and beautification plans for implementation.
- Demote the unauthorised construction.
- HRDA is approving authority to all type of Maps.
- Management of all types of residential / commercial plan development and distribution of properties.
- Under the Authority perform the different development work with the help of Infrastructure development fund.
3. Creating Walkable localities – HRDA is developing a layout for densely populated areas. HRDA has selected the “Har-ki-Pauri” place for development. Under this layout, one way traffic, parking facility, cycle pathway and pedestrians provisions are there. Only battery operated vehicles will run in this area and HRDA is planning to develop different areas for walking, cycles and vehicles as well.
4. Preserving and developing open spaces– HRDA is regularly developing the park areas for beautification.
5. Promoting a variety of transport options – HRDA is planning to run local city bus service and Metro rail project with the help of Central Government.
- City Bus Service-Residents of Haridwar basically use three kinds of transport when moving around in the city. With Tri-cycles, auto rickshaws and local buses, residents of Haridwar have an easy reach to every place. As cheaper mode of transport, these are the most popular forms of reaching from one place to another. With local buses easily navigating their way through the back lanes, crowded streets are not a hindrance if you wish to visit somewhere in the city. Buses are always on high demand because tourists prefer government transport. SIDCUL also has a big crowd to demand government transport like city buses.
- Metro Rail– Metro Rail track has been proposed from Haridwar to Dehradun. This project is under estimation and planning with the help of Central and State Government.
6. Making governance citizen-friendly and cost effective–
- Online Map Approval (Developing by UHUDA) All types of Maps Like Residential, Commercials and Industrials is applying online and customer can monitor application online and finally get approved map online.
- Public Grievance System ( Maintain by IT Cell) HRDA online public grievance system is working and getting complains and suggestions regularly online.
- Online Property Management (Developing by IT Cell) HRDA IT Cell is developing a software for property department. All HRDA customers can check the online property details as well as payment of EMI. Customer can deposit online EMI using our portal.
- Online Notice Management (Developing by IT Cell) This software is also developing the IT Cell. This software will manage the all legal notices, sealing and check the status of notice online. Party can get SMS when hearing is finalizing.
7. Giving Identity to the City–
Haridwar is one of the most popular Hindu pilgrimage centres. River Ganges enters the North Indian plains at Haridwar. Haridwar or, ‘Gateway to Gods’ is also known with the names of Mayapuri, Kapila and Gangadwar. Hindu pilgrims and devotees gather at Haridwar to offer prayers on auspicious occasions. The water of River Ganga is considered so sacred at Haridwar that pilgrims take Ganges’ water to their homes. Haridwar is also one of the four venues of the Kumbh Mela (occurring every 12 Years) and Ardh Kumbh (takes place every six years). According to mythology, drops of Amrit (Elixir) fell in to the Brahmkund of Har-Ki-Pauri. Therefore, a holy dip in the Brahmakund on this particular day is considered very auspicious. HRDA is planning to develop the Haridwar city for pilgrim tourist destination.
8. Applying Smart Solutions to infrastructure and services in area- based development to make them better. Haridwar lies on the banks of Ganges which has large size stones in bulk and can be used for park beautification.
What are the focus areas for improving the delivery of services to the citizens in Haridwar?
1. Development of Low Income Group House– Under the Pradhan Mantri Housing Plan
- Under the above plan, the Authority has decided to develop 10,000 houses for low income group by 2022. Authority has Indralok Phase-2 which has 10.50 acre land for 416 EWS (Economically Weaker Sections) group house and 320 low income houses.
2. Parking facility in Haridwar
- Haridwar city is holy place for pilgrims. Regularly traffic is increasing due to the pilgrims tourist destination. So it is very much needed for increasing the parking facility in the city.
- HRDA was decided the point to develop for parking which are – JatwaraPul, Near Bhagat Singh Chowk, Near to Pawan Dham.
- HRDA sent proposal to Nagar Nigam for adopting the Land for development of parking.
How you are using ICT to bring urban transformation?
We have undertaken various ICT initiatives to bring about change in the system of delivering government services to the citizens. Some of them are:-
- Online Map Approval (Developing by UHUDA)
- All types of Maps Like Residential, Commercials and Industrials is applying online and customer can monitor application online and finally get approved map online.
- Public Grievance System ( Maintain by IT Cell)
- HRDA online public grievance system is working and getting complains and suggestions regularly online.
- Online Property Management (Developing by IT Cell)
- HRDA IT Cell is developing a software for property department. All HRDA customer can check the online property details as well as payment of EMI. Customer can deposit online EMI using our portal.
- Online Notice Management (Developing by IT Cell)
- This software is also developing the IT Cell. This software will manage the all legal notices, sealing and check the status of notice online. Party can get SMS when hearing is finalizing.