The Ministry of Panchayati Raj, India, is preparing a mission mode project for e-Governance at the Gram Panchayat level under the National e-Governance Plan.
Minister of Panchayati Raj, Shri Mani Shankar Aiyar has envisaged that this will enable all Panchayats in the country to progressively obtain the benefits of Information Technology in implementing e-Governance solutions with reference to identified services delivered at the Panchayat level. This is a new initiative. A few Panchayats in the States have been implementing pilots project for e-Governance at the Panchayat level with support of the State Government concerned. He said, other components for e-Governance for Panchayats include basic computer infrastructure, software and basic process re-engineering. Shri Aiyar said the objective is to support all State Governments and Panchayats to make effective use of IT in:
- Improving internal management processes and decision making in Panchayats;
- Panchayats using IT as a tool for transparency, disclosure of information to citizens and social audit;
- Panchayats using IT to better deliver its mandated services to its citizens;
- States and Panchayats using IT for electronic tagging and tracking of funds transferred to Panchayats from higher level of governments, including rapid bank transfer of funds, tracking fund transfers to, and expenditures of the Panchayats;
- Using IT as a medium of e-Procurement.