LMRC had meticulously chalked out different strategies for achieving the completion of civil construction of the 8.5 km “Priority Corridor” between Transport Nagar and Charbagh in a very short deadline, says Kumar Keshav, Managing Director, Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation, in conversation with Arpit Gupta of Elets News Network (ENN).
Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation has started operations on the Priority Corridor from Transport Nagar to Charbagh. How has been the experience so far?
The 8.5 km “Priority Corridor” of the North-South Corridor (Phase 1A) between Transport Nagar and Charbagh has been completed and commissioned for public operations with effect from 5th September, 2017. This Metro Project has been opened in less than three years which is a record in itself. Lucknow Metro has, therefore, earned the distinction of being the fastest ever Metro Rail Project execution which has happened so far in the country.
What technologies have been used in Lucknow Metro and how will it ensure safety and security of the passengers?
LMRC has selected state-of-the-art technologies for Metro like:
- Rolling Stock (Metro Train) has been incorporated with the latest Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) Signalling system which ensures complete safety of passengers.
- The escalators have been provided with emergency stop button which can be used whenever a passenger feels he/she is uncomfortable while travelling on it. All LMRC escalators have been designed to stop in case of emergency. l Fire detection/Fire Alarm and Protection System have been provided in Metro to deal with such issues. l Adequate CCTVs have been provided inside every Metro Train and at Metro station/premises to keep a proper electronic real-time surveillance inside the system.
The state-of-the-art equipment like CCTV, Door Frame Metal Detector (DFMD), Hand Held Metal Detector (HHMD), X-Ray Baggage Scanners etc. have been installed at all Metro stations and other Metro premises to ensure the safety of Metro system and the passengers. LMRC has equipped all its security personnel with latest communication system i.e. static wireless and hand-held wireless equipment for quick and fast communication among themselves.
What special initiatives have been undertaken for differently- abled passengers?
LMRC Metro stations are completely barrier-free for the differently-abled people and senior citizens. These include:
- Braille plates are installed on lift buttons and inside trains for priority seats in the trains for the visually- impaired passengers. Tactile lines are installed at platform edges to enable visually impaired users to detect the location of the platform edge.
- Flashing system maps showing the current and the next station along with the direction of the train and the doors to be opened are provided in all trains for hearing impaired passengers.
- Dedicated Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates with wider bidirectional entry have been provided at Metro stations so that the physically handicapped persons can enter easily with wheelchairs.
- One low height AFC Ticket Office Machine Counter is provided at each station so that mobility impaired passenger can access counter without leaving the wheelchair.
LMRC GoSmart card is contactless smart card working on RF Technology. What are the salient features of GoSmart card?
Use of GoSmart card not only saves the time of travellers but will also provide users with freedom, convenience and flexibility of travel in the Metro. It is suitable for frequent travellers where they can enjoy 10 per cent rebate in fare on each Metro journey. Additionally, the Metro ‘GoSmart’ passengers can also avail free Wi-Fi facility at all Metro stations while in the Metro system. LMRC ‘GoSmart’ card is a multiple value single card which can also be integrated with other modes of public transport and mercantile for swift and a smart way of journey/transportation leading to the realisation of the ‘One City One Ticket’ concept of the Government.
Please throw some light on the Green Initiatives of LMRC.
LMRC has been ensuring from day one of its construction activity that its every endeavour is eco-friendly so as to keep the city green and lively. Lucknow Metro is planned to provide an environmental- friendly mass rapid transport for the public from the first day of its inception.
The Metro Stations and the Transport Nagar Metro depot have been designed and built as ‘Green’ buildings in accordance with the standards of the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC). All the eight Lucknow Metro Stations have received ‘Platinum’ certification before the start of its commercial services.
This is highest green rating for any civil structure or building which has been awarded to LMRC. With this, LMRC has become the first government entity in Lucknow region and first one in transport sector in UP to attain Indian Green Building Council’s Platinum Certification. LMRC is, thus, taking forward the mission of “Cleaner and Greener Uttar Pradesh” in the area of mass rapid transport system.
Lucknow Metro has achieved many national and international recognitions, honours and awards. Please share your success mantra.
Our success is a joint effort of all LMRC officers, staff, contractors, agencies and every person associated with us in any manner. LMRC had meticulously and intelligently chalked out different strategies for achieving the completion of civil construction of the 8.5 km “Priority Corridor” between Transport Nagar and Charbagh in a very tight deadline. LMRC devised a strategy to work simultaneously from both the ends thus saving a lot of time in the construction stage.