Wipro is expected to rollout around 20 million Pehchan cards under project Pehchan.
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC), a statutory corporation under the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India (GoI), is the implementing agency of a pioneering Social Security Scheme in India. The scheme provides social security protection to over one crore industrial workers and their family members all over the country within the ambit of ESI Act 1948.
As the prime medical care disbursement agency in India, ESIC has the largest captive base of Insured Persons (IPs). The IPs belong to the economically weaker sections of society. ESIC provides medical services to them through its network of 144 hospitals and 1388 dispensaries spread across the country. The IPs have been given a unique IP number to identify them as beneficiaries. However, since the authentication and verification process in place is manual, the IPs can avail medical benefits only at the Hospital or Dispensary where he/she is registered. This is a problem, as due to the migrant nature of their jobs, IPs rarely remain at the place of registration to be able to avail medical services.
Yet another problem is that if the IP cannot accompany his/her family at the time of availing the medical facilities, the family members cannot get treated at the ESIC facilities. The physical presence of the IP is necessary to complete the manual authentication process.
ESIC envisaged a system where all ESIC hospitals and dispensaries spread across the country could be integrated into a single e-Health environment for better accessibility to beneficiaries as well as to ensure ease of administration. The challenges were as follows:
Creation of one of the largest medical records database in the world
- Largest roll out of identity cards in IndiaWIPRO’S SOLUTIONESIC decided to automate the entire process to ensure medical services reach the intended benefi ciaries. Titled Project Panchdeep, ESIC invited bids on a Built- Own-Operate-Transfer (BOOT) model through a global tender. After a detailed scrutiny of all tenders, ESIC awarded the six-and-half-year project worth INR 118.2 million to Wipro in March 2009.Project Panchdeep is divided into fi ve important components namely, Pehchan, Milap, Pashan, Dhanwantri and Pragati.Project Pehchan comprises all services related to identifi cation, authentication and verifi cation of Insured Persons (IPs). The objective is to provide a pair of smart cards to all IPs – one for the IP and another for his family members. With this Pehchan card, an IP or his family members can step into any ESIC facility across the country and avail medical facilities. The Pehchan card will have the photographs of all the family members along with their biometric details stored in the central database. Wipro is expected to rollout around 20 million Pehchan cards under this project.
To enable this, Wipro will be undertaking the following activities:
- Project Milap: Networking of 2220 locations (including 144 hospitals, 1388 dispensaries, 620 branch offi ces, 40 regional offi ces and 27 State Directorates).
- Project Pashan: Setting up the centralised Data Center / Disaster Recovery and computing infrastructure.
- Project Dhanwantri: Providing services related to IT support and Medical Information System for all ESIC hospitals and dispensaries.
- Project Pragati:Undertaking all services related to ERP modules –Finance / HR / Legal / Procurement / Health Insurance / DMS etc.KEY BENEFITS
- IPs will be able to avail medical services at any ESIC facility across India
- With each IP being given two smart cards (one for himself and one for his family), family members can avail medical services even when the IP is away at another location
- Automation resulting in faster processing of claims
- Improved operation co-ordination across functional departments
- Reduction in operational cost in terms of lower inventory cost
- Improved productivity of employees by reducing redundant data entry and processes
- Timely availability of data for improved decision-making.