The Indian Railways has recently signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for developing applications in the field of Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System.
The objective of the MoU are to develop applications and services in tune with the requirements of Indian Railways, such as:
- Develop an advance warning system at unmanned railway crossings for road users.
- Mapping of Indian Railways assets through geospatial technology.
- Develop paperless unreserved ticketing solution based on geo-fencing of station area.
- Developing Real Time Train Information System by using Communication Satellite services.
- Setting up of “BHUVAN” node in Indian Railways to internalise the use of BHUVAN geospatial solutions by the Railways.
- Meet Indian Railways’ satellite-based communication requirements.
For services being currently provided by BHUVAN or envisaged in future for the Government of India, no charges shall be levied. For communication services, satellite assisted navigation, etc., charges would be applicable as per mutual agreement and based on pricing policies of the Government.
A project called Real-time Train Information System (RTIS) to track trains on real time basis along with dissemination of train running information to rail users has been sanctioned.