Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd is playing a vital role in spearheading the growth of the helicopter industry in India.
Anil Srivastava, Chairman & Managing Director, Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd; & Joint Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation
The national helicopter company, Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd is now in its 26th year of service to offshore oil industry. Pawan Hans Offshore flying was inaugurated on 4th of October 1986, by the then Prime Minister, Late Shri Rajiv Gandhi with the induction of two Westland Helicopters, and the first commercial operations from Pawan Hans for ONGC commenced on 6th October, 1986, with two W-30 Westland Helicopters flying from Juhu Aerodrome, Mumbai, to Offshore Rigs When Pawan Hans was formed, helicopter operations by Indian Companies were virtually nonexistent and expertise in this field was very limited. Within a year of its commencement of operations, Pawan Hans replaced all the foreign helicopter operators hired by ONGC, thereby saving outflow of valuable foreign exchange and serving national interest. Today Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd is the largest provider of helicopter services in India.
Serving Offshore Industry On any typical day, helicopters belonging to Pawan Hans make about 35/36 takeoffs/landings from the Juhu Aerodrome. The offshore is 90 nautical miles to 100 nautical miles in the sea. Everyday about 350 employees of ONGC make use of helicopters from Pawan Hans to travel to offshore and back to Juhu Aerodrome. For the last 25 years Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd has been providing efficient helicopter services to ONGC, which operates a large number of well platforms.
Apart from ONGC, Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd is also providing services to companies like GSPC and British Gas. Till date the Pawan Hans has made more than 20 lakh landings in service of the offshore industries. The company has carried out more than 4 lakh hours of flying.
Already a dominant player in the offshore sector, Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd aims to continue to maintain its position by securing more contracts and rapid expansion of its existing fleet, infrastructure and expertise. Currently the fleet of helicopters is optimally deployed, and in view of the immense potential for growth of the helicopter business in India, Pawan Hans is in the process of acquiring many new helicopters.
Ensuring safety in air
Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd operates one helicopter for medical evacuation service from Mumbai for offshore rigs owned by ONGC. The medical evacuation helicopter is manned by qualified doctors and is equipped with cutting edge medical equipment to provide best possible in-flight treatment to the patient. Considering the fact that safety is of paramount importance in aviation, Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd has incorporated a range of safety measures. The organisation has taken the initiative of establishing the National Institute of Aviation Safety and Services, which is dedicated to providing specialised training, audit support and consultancy services to small operators and aviation set ups of state governments. The National Institute of Aviation Safety and Services serves as a knowledge bank and provides services to helicopter operators in general aviation, owners and other organisations on aviation safety related issues. It also assists the Government and regulating agencies in formulating/implementing rules and regulations for smooth operation, maintenance of helicopters/aircrafts and development of heliports and maintenance facilities
Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd
- Highlights of 25 year service to offshore industry
- Total offshore flying of more than 4 lakh hours
- More than 20 lakh landings on the rigs
- Lead helicopter flying hours as of date – more than 21381 hours
- Lead helicopter landings – more than 117144
- Accident free offshore flying for last 15 years.
- On an average every month Pawan Hans executes 7000 landing and carries 30000 passengers to various platforms rigs
Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd at a glance
- Backbone of India’s offshore oil industry. Providing safe offshore flying to companies like – ONGC, GSPC, British Gas
- Presently the Government of India owns 51 percent shareholding in Pawan Hans, and ONGC has 49 percent
- Total fleet of 54 Helicopters (47 own, 08 O&M & 01 Leased)
- The largest helicopter operator in India having mix fleet of helicopters
- Long-term institutional clients, mainly in the oil industry and government sector
- An ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 Certified Company
- Offshore flying of over 4,00,000 hours with more than 20 lakh landings
- State of the art maintenance facilities for Dauphin Series and Bell Helicopters at Mumbai and Delhi Bases respectively
- Excellence in operations and maintenance of helicopters owned by State governments/PSU/private parties