The two-day ‘Consultation Workshop with state governments and stakeholders on Smart Cities’ will delve into issues like innovative policy and financing tools needed for the ambitious initiative.
The conclave will witness the discussion on 10 critical issues for clear understanding of the issues, challenges and the road ahead. These include:
1. Competition based selection of cities for inclusion under smart cities programme;
2. Support and hand-holding the cities need to participate in the Smart City Challenge;
3. Policy issues in respect of area based strategy for development through retrofitting, redevelopment and green field smart city development;
4. Innovative financial tools for funding smart city development and making urban local bodies self-reliant;
5. Credit rating of cities and kick-starting issue of municipal bonds;
6. Promoting citizen participation in identifying project priorities, decision making and implementation;
7. Review of progress achieved under JNNURM with regard to implementation of reforms;
8. Leveraging primary economic activity of each city to augment employment generation;
9. Integrating Smart City Mission with National Urban Development Mission for 500 Cities; and
10. City sanitation and action taken under Swachh Bharat Mission.