Senior Director, Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY), Ministry of Communications & IT,and CEO, National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI)
“IRINN’s main purpose is the allocation and registration services for IPv4 & IPv6 addresses, Autonomous System or AS numbers and related Whois Database for IP address look-up and reverse DNS delegation,” says Dr Govind
Please provide us with some brief on .IN Registry?
The IN Registry was set up under National Internet exchange of India during January, 2005. NIXI is a Not-for-Profit Company under Section 25 of the Indian Companies Act, 1956, with the objective of facilitating improved Internet services in the country. Under NIXI, the IN Registry functions as an autonomous body with primary responsibility for maintaining the .IN ccTLD and ensuring its operational stability, reliability, and security. It will implement the various elements of the new policy set out by the Government of India and its Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Department of Information Technology.
Government of India has authorised NIXI as the .IN registry. What steps is NIXI taking to ensure the safety of .IN registry? Will some other domains also come under NIXI?
• IN domain is one of the world’s most protected top level domains (TLD). Access to .IN domains is performed via a highly redundant, global, Anycast DNS network,which protects against massive distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks.
• IN registry is secured behind a five layer security ring with all critical components fully redundant hardware software and service
provision including a completely functional and tested disaster recovery facility
• The .IN registry is also one of the few TLDs in the world to have deployed the domain name system security extensions (DNSSEC) technology which guarantees protection to users who click on a website. DNSSEC ensure that they cannot be hijacked maliciously.
• This is in fact the first TLD in South Asia to deploy such a high level of cryptographic technology for security at the domain level.
• IN registry is also constantly monitored for threats and active measures are taken to mitigate abuse in coordination with CERT IN.
• In addition to this, there are additional scans and audits performed to ensure there are no known vulnerabilities
• Also, NIXI is expecting to administer the Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs) in the near future. IDNs are the domain names in the native language.
What is the current status of the .IN Registry?
Registration of .IN domain stands at 1.67 million as on January, 2013. Presently, 92 Registrars have been accredited to offer .IN domain name registration worldwide to customers. It has helped in proliferation of web hosting and promotion of Internet usage in the country. Two Data centres have been established in Delhi and Chennai, one acting as the primary and the other as a secondary with a maximum down time of five minutes. Also, IN Registry is planning to offer the Internationalised Domain Name (IDNs) in the near future. IDNs are the domain names in the native languages.
What is National Internet Registry?
The National Internet Registry is known as Indian Registry for Internet names and Numbers (IRINN). Indian Registry for Internet Names and Numbers (IRINN) provides allocation and registration services of IP addresses and AS numbers, and contributes to the society by providing Internet-related information as a non-profit, affiliation-based organisation, and performing research, education and enlightenment activities.
What is the need of an NIR?
To facilitate the allocation of IP resources to large number of small and medium companies within the country. Also the services to be charged in local currency to avoid exchange losses. It will also facilitates local training and development and would be providing local language support to the entities in India.